As an international student wanting to obtain a doctoral degree at the LMU's Medical Faculty, you need to follow these steps in the given order:
(1) Find a supervisor/project
Before coming to Munich, you should find a supervisor willing to take you into his/her lab. You should discuss which doctoral degrees are available to you and which one you will be aiming for (see our degree portfolio for more information on the options).
(2) Have your qualifying degree checked for eligibility BEFORE signing a supervision agreement and commencing work on your project
Once you have determined where you will be able to work on a doctoral project and who your supervisor will be, you must have your qualifying degree(s) checked for eligibility by the Doctoral Office. This is a vital step! If your qualifying degree does not make you eligible for a doctoral degree here and you did not have this checked before starting, you will have worked on your project without being able to complete with the doctoral degree you were aiming for.
For the eligibility check, the following documents must be submitted to the Doctoral Office (Promotionsbüro):
- all acquired degree certificats (Bachelor, Master, Diploma...)
- all transcripts of above mentioned certificates
- your CV
Students from China, Mongolia and Vietnam must also submit a valid APS certificate, unless they are CSC-LMU scholarship holders.
The Doctoral Office will check your documents for eligibility and let you know as soon as possible, whether you can carry out your research project here or not.
(3) Acceptance as a doctoral candidate
Once you have successfully completed steps (1) and (2), you can be accepted as a doctoral candidate by the faculty. In order to do so, you must submit the following documents to the Doctoral Office:
- Supervision agreement, signed by your supervisor and yourself
- Suggestion for the members of the Thesis Advisory Committee
- Project description (1 page)
- Ethical clearance vote (if required)
- Declaration on previously passed or failed doctoral examinations
- Certificate of good conduct
- Declaration of knowledge on known sanctions if false or incomplete data is submitted
- Declaration on known criminal prosecutions
Most of the doctoral degrees do not require you to enroll as a doctoral student. However, there are benefits to being enrolled (semester ticket, health insurance…). In order to do so, you will need both your supervision agreement and a letter of acceptance (which will be issued by the Doctoral Office). Enrolment takes place at the LMU’s International Office.
All information on the enrolment process (which documents you need to bring, etc.) can be found on the respective website.
Please note: if you are interested in the Ph.D. in Medical Research (3-year structured Ph.D. program), please see the respective website!