From Bench to Bedside - Medical Research Summer School
The Faculty of Medicine and the University Hospital of the Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich are among Europe’s leading centers of scholarly medicine.
For the first time, LMU offers medical students from around the world the chance to gain insight into medical research. In a four-week programm from 3rd to 29th August 2019, students will get a better understanding of the diversity of medical research. The Summer School has a diverse and enriching curriculum, designed and taught by Ludwig-Maximilans-University tutors. It involves a series of lectures, tutorials, seminars, bedside teaching and lab visits.
From Bench to Bedside students:
- are exposed to medical research in an academic medical environment.
- learn about the different research methods as well as the pros and cons of using them for various scientific problems.
- meet international scientists undertaking research at LMU.
During Lab Visits, students familiarize themselves with lab work and get the chance to ask questions and discuss ideas with experts in different fields.
The opportunity to have ethical discussions with other international students from different cultural backgrounds and healthcare delivery systems about the benefits and limitations of research will be an enriching experience. They will also be able to learn more about scientific career development, and how research findings are incorporated in patient care.
- Lab visits
- Legal Medicine: Forensic DNA typing, forensic toxicology, biomechenic autopsy
- "Happy together - unhappy divided": Cell adhesion in health and disease
- Clinical pathology: Precision Medicine
- Immunotherapy of cancer
- Ethics and medical history
- Presentation skills
- Institute of Pathology
- Institute of Legal Medicine
- Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology
- Environmental Epidemiology Department
- Institute for Public Health
- Biomedical Center Munich
Language of Instruction
During their stay, LMU students help to pilot international participants through the complexities of laboratory and hospital practice.
On weekends, there’s time to relax and enjoy what Munich and its surroundings have to offer: Students go on excursions together or visit nearby attractions such as Neuschwanstein Castle and the city of Nuremberg.
August 3-29, 2019
Arrival date: August 3 (Airport shuttle to registration venue, organized by MISU)
First day of class: August 5
Last day of class: August 28
Departure date: August 29
- € 300 tuition fee incl. Social Program (students enrolled at a LMU Partner University are eligible to apply for a LMU Tuition Waiver)
- € 200 registration fee (non-refundable)
- € 410 housing fee
Participation is free for LMU medical students.
Online applications will be accepted until April 15, 2019.
International Students: Please complete only the section "Application International Students" and submit.
LMU Students: Please complete only the section "Application LMU Students" and submit.
Supporting documents to be submitted:
- CV (in English)
- Confirmation of Student Status (Certificate of Enrolment or equivalent)
- Most recent official Transcript of Records
- Documentation of English language proficiency (non-native speakers)
- Statement of Intent: A one-page statement (in English) written by the applicant that can include reasons for pursuing a medical career, for choosing the Summer School, etc.
Prospective applicants who have already graduated from medical school are not eligible to participate.
Please send us an email if you are interested in the program so we can provide further details or answer questions you may have: Lisa.Lechner@med.uni-muenchen.de