Neurology Winter School
The Neurology Winter School will run for three weeks from March 11 - 29, 2019 at the Klinikum der Universität München and will consist of a series of lectures, tutorials, seminars, bedside teachings, communication training and lab visits.
Issues for consideration will include:
- Principles of neurology and neural science
- Intersections with neurosurgery, neuroradiology and psychiatry
- Methods of diagnosis and treatment
The international students will choose a field of interest for patient contact and rounds and will integrate into our medical team during the whole Winter School. They will hospitalize patients and discuss the anamnesis of physical examination and test results as well as the adequate treatment with their respective ward doctors or consultants.
Furthermore, specific tutorials will be held which instruct the students how to discuss clinical cases in a problem-oriented and cooperative manner. Small group training sessions and seminars will involve diagnostic tools in neurology, interpersonal communication, e.g. “Breaking Bad News”, simulations based on standardized patients and other elements of the medical professional’s skill set.
The Winter School also features an entertaining social and cultural program. On weekends, students go on skiing trips together, attend a concert or a ballet, view the paintings in the Pinakothek museum, or visit nearby attractions such as Neuschwanstein Castle and Salzburg.
The Neurology Winter School is part of the Munich International Summer University (MISU).
Language of Instruction
Target Group / Prerequisites
The elective addresses senior medical students, particularly those from LMU Partner Universities, who attend this four-week rotation together with senior medical students from LMU.
A German "study buddy" is assigned to each participant from abroad, and helps to pilot his or her partner through the complexities of hospital practice.
Upon completion of the elective, the certificate "Zeugnis über die Tätigkeit als Famulus/Famula (Certificate concerning practical clinical experience) gemäß Anlage 6 zu § 7 Abs. 4 Satz 2 ÄAppO" is granted to LMU students.
March 11 - 29, 2019
Arrival international students: March 8, 2-6 pm
Course start: March 11, 8 am
Course end: March 29, 4 pm
Departure international students: March 29
- € 300 tuition fee (students enrolled at a LMU Partner University are eligible to apply for a MISU Tuition Waiver)
€ 200 MISU registration fee
- € 410 housing fee
Participation is free for LMU medical students.
Maximum Number of Participants
Application for International Students
Online applications will be accepted until November 1, 2018. Please complete only the section "Application International Students" and submit.
Supporting documents to be submitted:
- CV (in English)
- Confirmation of Student Status (Certificate of Enrolment or equivalent)
- Most recent official Transcript of Records
- Documentation of English language proficiency (non-native speakers)
- Statement of Intent: A one-page statement (in English) written by the applicant that can include reasons for pursuing a medical career, for choosing the Winter School, etc.
Prospective applicants who have already graduated from medical school are not eligible to participate.
Application for LMU Students
Online applications will be accepted until November 1, 2018. Please complete only the section "Application LMU Students" and submit.
Supporting documents to be submitted:
- CV (in German)
- Statement of Intent: A one-page statement (in German) written by the applicant that can include reasons for pursuing a medical career, for choosing the Winter School, etc.
Prof. Orsolya Genzel-Boroviczény
Prof. Marianne Dieterich
PD Dr. Konstantinos Dimitriadis
Dr. Steffen Tiedt
- Neurology Winter School 2017 (238 KByte)