BMBF-Netzwerk GCBS: German Center for Brain Stimulation
- Sprecher: Prof. Dr. Frank Padberg
- Einrichtung: Klinik und Poliklinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie
- Förderung durch BMBF: 2015 bis 2019
Nearly every fourth patient with a psychiatric disorder does not tolerate or sufficiently respond to standard pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy. This directly leads to an impaired quality of life, significant morbidity and mortality, as well as high socioeconomic costs. The proposed consortium reacts to this unsatisfactory situation by establishing the German Center for Brain Stimulation (GCBS) aiming at developing novel treatment and health care strategies for psychiatric disorders. This endeavor is based on strong preclinical and clinical evidence supporting the notion that brain stimulation (BS) techniques, i.e. non-invasive and invasive BS are therapeutically effective in various common psychiatric disorders. However, the absence of coordinated interdisciplinary and translational research in this field has hampered the transition of experimental BS procedures into safe and effective therapeuticstrategies for therapeutic application.
Goals of the Research Network
In response, the GCBS brings together leading experts in the field of brain stimulation from basic neuroscience, neurophysiology and clinical psychiatry to establish a cooperative research network. The consortium aims to translate preclinical findings from animal and human models into clinical proof-of-principle and proof-of-efficacy studies and to generate the following deliverables:
- a catalogue of improved brain stimulation interventions for therapeutic application in common psychiatric disorders.
- a basic research strategy that allows identifying areas that have potential for brain stimulation application based on an advanced understanding of the mechanisms of action as well as on clinical trials.
The GCBS Consortium consists of 7 leading experts in brain stimulation across Germany who together are responsible for the implementation of the different workpackages of the GCBS Project. To provide you a better overview you will find here more information about each leading professor.
Quelle: gcbs (Text und Bildnachweis)